Do you have:
- Streaming windows
- Black mould on walls or fabrics and furnishings
- Musty smells
Olympic Construction have been curing condensation problems for over 25 years, and have a number of cost effective solutions for both home owners and landlords, ensuring the fabric of your properties are protected and the living environment for its occupants is a healthy one.
Condensation dampness is a result of too much moisture in the air, this is generated by bathing, showering, drying clothes, and even breathing. Most homes will experience condensation dampness with streaming windows, damp surfaces and musty smells, being tell-tale signs.
Occupant lifestyle also contributes to condensation, would you believe just one occupant within a property produces 2 litres of moisture a day by just breathing.
More importantly however condensation can also lead to mould growing on walls and in some cases on our clothes when stored in cupboards. The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) identifies damp and mould as one of the 24 hazards which could cause ‘risk or harm to health and safety of an actual or potential occupier’.
As we improve housing conditions with double glazing and insulation, the air tightness of a property is increased, allowing little room for a property to be naturally ventilated and as a result condensation dampness is becoming a growing problem.
In short condensation dampness is a common consequence of modern living and more energy efficient homes.
When condensation dampness starts to form and in particular mould growth, it is not only unpleasant but damaging and costly to your property, causing premature redecoration or replacement. Many people also associate mould growth with health problems.
- Avoid costly re-decoration costs by providing an environment in which condensation dampness cannot exist.
- Keep a healthy home with improved indoor air quality, removing external pollutants such as traffic fumes and radon gas.
- Create a low allergen home by reducing dust mites and pollens, helping to ease the symptoms of asthmas and other respiratory problems.
How to combat condensation problems
By installing an effective ventilation solution into your property, you are ensuring that the moisture generated from day to day living is either extracted or replaced with good quality air and this will significantly reduce or eliminate condensation dampness.
Olympic Construction, working with Nuaire ventilation offers tried and tested solutions to provide cost effective ventilation that ventilates your entire property, in most cases with only one single fan. Positive Input Ventilation gently supplies fresh filtered air into a property, ensuring that the moisture laden air is continuously diluted, displaced and replaced with good quality air.
To find out more about this solution, visit our Positive Input Ventilation page
The best way to tackle dampness due to condensation is to provide adequate ventilation into your property; however, for optimum performance we recommend you also take the following simple steps:
- Dry your clothes outside whenever possible and when drying inside is the only option, try and isolate drying to small rooms that are well ventilated.
- Avoid drying clothes on radiators as this is a major contribution to condensation.
- When producing steam in a bathroom or kitchen, make sure you keep the door shut tight to prevent the steam from spreading to the rest of the house.
- Open a window in your bathroom and kitchen whilst cooking or bathing, to allow the steam to vacate your property.
- Cover pans when cooking.
- Do not block air vents and make sure your furniture and cupboards are not up tight against walls, especially external walls.
- If you use a tumble drier make sure it’s vented correctly, preferably to the outside.
- Keeping your heating at a low level for a long period of time will gently warm the fabric of the building, reducing the cold surfaces on which warm wet air will condense.